Tuesday, April 9, 2013

From the Dark Forest into the Sunny Meadow

A key to being ready for God to change and move in you is letting the past go. It is not you anymore. That person you were, that's a stranger. You are not them anymore. You don't need to look back anymore. You don't need to question it, analyze it, dwell in it. It's all been wiped clean by the blood of Jesus. Don't let the devil put thoughts of your past in your head. He wants you to keep re-living it all because he knows that's what keeps you stuck in it. He wants you stuck because that means you've stopped moving on the path Christ has set out for you. Once you absolutely give it all to the Lord and tell Him you won't look back, He's ready to work on you and use you for greatness.

Some of us have gone through a little, some a lot. Some choose to walk through a clear, sunny meadow. Others of us choose the dark woods. Me, because of my own pride, chose the forest path, filled with many rocks, branches, and thorny bushes. Thankfully, after stumbling down this path for many years, I chose to grab onto the hand that was extended and was waiting to pull me out.  The only problem was, although I was now living in the light, the sounds of the dark forest behind me were still calling out, and I was still listening.  Even though God was working in my life, and I could feel His continuing guidance, as well as see the changes it was bringing about in me, I still saw myself in the old light. I still felt the burden of the me I used to be. I decided one day to write all of the things of the past on a piece of paper, put them in a pot, and burn them, symbolizing to me and showing to the Lord that I would no longer dwell on them or let them be a part of my life. Once I fully recognized this trick of Satan's to keep me tied to old things, and I opened my eyes to the fact that God had already moved on and no longer recognized that former person, I became free to really move in His grace. I could now fully realize the plans He has for me.

If you have found God's grace but can't seem to let go of the past you, pray to the Lord and let Him know you believe He has wiped you clean. When old thoughts and negative memories threaten to replay in your mind, tell them, "That is not me anymore. I don't know that person. I am a strong, beautiful child of God."

This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment